Tuesday 12 November 2013

Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College, Kensington

Ron Hoenig MP learning from OLSH Students
Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to visit Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College, Kensington (OLSH). I was so delighted to be able to sit down with Principal Libby Denny and Assistant Principal Robyn Rodwell and speak about the school, the students, what they are doing and up and coming events. Not only could they tell me about what the college is up to and their curricular activities they told me with a real passion and energy, I could clearly see that they truly believe in what they do.

OLSH is a Catholic non-selective school that is achieving big results. Of the students who completed Year 10 in 2010, 95% completed Year 12 in 2012. The average student attendance rate for 2012 was 93%.100% of students attain the award of Higher School Certificate or equivalent vocational education and training qualification and if you think that is impressive, 93% of Year 12 students go on to Tertiary Education such as University or TAFE.

I asked Ms Denny and Ms Rodwell what was their secret to such a successful school and Ms Denny went on to explain that it’s all about matching the students’ needs to appropriate subject learning, realising their abilities and potential and working on their confidence to do their best along with establishing and building trusting relationships with their teachers. “Good learning begins with good feelings in the classroom”-Ms Libby Denny

I soon came to realise that you cannot just build a school on infrastructure and curricular, you need culture and commitment, that is the secret to enriching the students life and giving them poise and empowerment will only make them believe and go on to become good educated citizens. 

I was also lucky enough to be taken on a tour of the college and speak with the students in the drama class and I also got to pop my head into the Biology class where they were looking at red blood cells, even I had a look through the microscope- fascinating stuff!

As the HSC is well underway, many of the students were studying and preparing the big exam. One student showed me her portfolio that she was working on for Textile Technology, one day hoping to become a fashion designer. The students certainly have immense talent and it was really refreshing to see. 

Robyn Rodwell, Ron Hoenig MP, Libby Denny
I would like to thank Principal Denny and Assistant Principal Rodwell along with their staff for their time. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and look forward to their Annual Presentation Day where I am able to see all of the achievements.

Libby Denny, the staff, students and parents can be rightly proud of such a fabulous school.


No comments:

Post a Comment