Sunday 17 November 2013

Waterloo Public Housing Forum - tenants live in squalor

Ron Hoenig MP & Hon. Sophie Costsis at the Waterloo Housing Forum
I would like to thank those many Waterloo public housing tenants that came along to my Public Housing Forum at the Factory Community Centre last week.


The forum was held to give public housing tenants an opportunity to meet and speak with me, Housing NSW staff and Police about Housing NSW issues and initiatives along with Policing and Crime Prevention. 

I was happy to see so many people turn up and speak with me about their concerns regarding public housing. It seemed that everyone had the same issues they wanted their places cleaned up & maintained, the mould removed, improved security and put an end to anti-social behaviour. The message was loud and clear that the pensioners in public housing felt that their safety was at risk and that they were vulnerable to their younger problematic neighbours. 

As a local Member of Parliament it is my duty to protect my constituents and that their safety is not compromised. Having a safe and welcoming community is paramount and I will continue to advocate on your behalf to the NSW Government regarding public housing issues.

I would like to thank The Hon.Sophie Cotsis, Shadow Minister for Housing, Robert Harbin, Redfern Local Area Command's Crime Manager, Constable Maria Flood from Redfern Police and Michael Modder from Housing NSW for coming along and being of great assistance to me.

If you would like to see the A Current Affair broadcast of "Housos left to live in squalor" during my tour around the streets of Waterloo and visiting constituents please visit http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/video/?uuid=2748980830001

No comments:

Post a Comment